My name is Matt Weed, and I'm a pediatric ophthalmologist at the Spokane Eye Clinic in beautiful Spokane, Washington.
- Born and raised in Salt Lake City, Utah
- Graduated from Brigham Young University
- B.S. in microbiology; minor in Spanish
- Summa cum laude
- College valedictorian, commencement speaker
- Married to a Spokane native, four wonderful children
- Medical school: University of California-San Diego
- Internship: Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center (Spokane, Washington)
- Ophthalmology residency: University of Iowa
- Ophthalmic genetics fellowship: University of Iowa
- Pediatric ophthalmology fellowship: University of Iowa
- Board certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology
- Member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Member of the Washington Academy of Eye Physicians and Surgeons
- Actively involved with the American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus
- Investigator with the Pediatric Eye Disease Investigator Group, a collaborative research organization sponsored by the National Eye Institute/National Institutes of Health
What I Do:
- As a medical and surgical eye doctor for children, I see and treat kids with any type of eye problem you can imagine: lazy eye (amblyopia), eye misalignment (strabismus), need for glasses, blocked tear ducts, cataracts, glaucoma, retinopathy of prematurity, and many more.
- I have specialized training in inherited diseases that affect the eyes, such as Stargardt disease and retinitis pigmentosa, and I absolutely love meeting children and families with these conditions.
- I also see adult patients with eye misalignment and/or double vision.
NEAT THINGS I'VE DONE
- Come to Spokane as the first and only inherited eye disease specialist in the region, allowing pediatric eye patients with these conditions to not have to travel to the coast
- Become the only strabismus surgeon in the region to offer the adjustable suture technique to selected adult patients
- Lived in Costa Rica for two years, where I became fluent in Spanish
- Lectured at multiple national meetings, including those of the American Academy of Ophthalmology and the American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus
- Authored and co-authored multiple publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals
- Published content as a Strabismus Surgery section editor in Basic Techniques of Ophthalmic Surgery
- Studied with Dr. William E. Scott, MD, a giant of pediatric ophthalmology, and other wonderful mentors at the University of Iowa
- Served on the editorial board for www.eyerounds.org, one of the world's leading ophthalmology teaching sites